wordlessrecipe.jpg

[links: flickr.com (chocolate cake) & flickr.com (pancakes)|via makezine.com & eyebeam.org]

wordlessrecipe2.jpg

image author: macro girl @ flickr.

Maybe this is wordless and open to a little ambiguity, but surely if you follow this recipe you don't end up with pancakes... Aren't those flat and fried? Without chocolate or cream?

Mon 25 Sep 2006 at 8:34 PM
chef

oops, you are right. the infographic above is for chocolate cake... I have changed the main post to reflect this. thnkx chef!

Mon 25 Sep 2006 at 8:51 PM
infosthetics

Nice, but relatively wordless... unfortunately some ingredientes are in English. Could they be expressed with icons like flour=wheat + mill?
Besides, we can understand icons according to our culture.

Mon 25 Sep 2006 at 10:30 PM
enrique

Nice experiment. I'm curious what the final goal is for this. Is it to facilitate the understanding of directions for one country/culture/language? Or is it to faciliate directions across multiple cultures and languages? The later seems more necessary and important, yet this doesn't fully address this. I guess there is not international standard for 'Plain Flour' or 'Sour Cream' and it would be great to try and address that. Nevertheless, this shows how difficult visualizing something as simple as cooking directions can be.

Tue 26 Sep 2006 at 4:49 AM

Do I bake it for 55 mins or 11 hours?

Tue 26 Sep 2006 at 7:38 AM

Nice idea, but the experiement is a failure - it's not wordless (e.g. "plain flour", "cocoa powder", "sour cream" "sugar" (practically illegible)); and, what size spoon? table spoon? tea spoon? If you're going to "cheat" by using words for ingredients, then why not inclucde worded instructions? Because, then this blog post would have no reason to exisit.
There are applications for wordless instruction - this is not one of them.

Tue 26 Sep 2006 at 2:19 PM
wordlesshaha

of course this project is more an explorative study than a real-world application, but I am not sure if agree with your argument.

there are people that have more difficulty with reading descriptive instructions in specific contexts (e.g. I do when I have to make recipes from a foreign language cookbook), & might be helped by the visual illustrations.

people might also find it easier to remember the visual diagram as textual instructions?

Tue 26 Sep 2006 at 2:55 PM
infosthetics

very inspiring. Its a brilliant idea for a non cooking background people (me) to remember these steps. I think the exact info on the amount of ingredient/technique can be improvized and perfected in the future.

Tue 26 Sep 2006 at 6:04 PM
.m

I am the creator of this work, and have only just stumbled upon this posting here.

Unfortunately the piece has been taken out of context and without any explanation people are misinterpreting both the point and the crude stage of development.

This recipe is one of many that I am developing and is a work in progress.

The eventual aim is to have a website that allows users to select the mode in which the content is presented (ie: pure words, pure images and a range of options in-between combining word and image).

I am open to ideas, comments and suggestions.

Wed 27 Sep 2006 at 12:34 PM
lauren bugeja

hi Lauren,

great work & thnkx for the clarifications! even on its own the infographic has value, in my opinion.

looking forward to the website, which seems to augment the concept even further.

Wed 27 Sep 2006 at 12:53 PM
infosthetics

the lines are a bit confusing. what's the difference between the dotted line and the solid-arrowed lines? both seem to being giving the same direction (pour).

Thu 28 Sep 2006 at 6:53 AM

We've just pre-launched our new site, harnessing the power of recipics!

Check it out: http://coo.kz