fabcell.jpg
a wearable ambient display using flexible, non-emissive color-changing textile modules for new expressions of visual imaginary appications. the Fabcell system consists of a mosaic of Fabcell modules, a black piece of cloth, & a controller for changing the color of the modules. potential applications include color-changing suits that change from gray during daytime to red to go out for a dance, or body temperature sensitive clothing that visualizes the emotion of the wearer.

see also data-aware sports jersey & interactive pillows & dynamic textiles & lumalive & equalizer t-shirt.

[link: keio.ac.jp & acm.org (ACM membership required)]

fabcell2.jpg

fabcell3.jpg

published in: Wakita, A. and Shibutani, M. 2006. Mosaic textile: wearable ambient display with non-emissive color-changing modules. In Proceedings of the 2006 ACM SIGCHI international Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology.

this is cool.

Mon 12 Mar 2007 at 11:00 PM

ooo, where can u get this???

Thu 26 Apr 2007 at 5:12 AM
jenifa

I am a teacher at Bountiful Junior High in Utah and need a small sample of color changing fabric as part of a lesson in advanced technology. Would your company be willing to donate a sample for me? Thank you.
Barbara Bushnell
1-801-296-1740

Sun 15 Jul 2007 at 7:39 AM
barbara bushnell

barbara,
you will need to contact the original authors of this work, by following their contact details on their website.
note also that this was academic research, not a commercial product.

Mon 16 Jul 2007 at 1:30 PM
infosthetics

I want to contact this company but cant figure out which is their website... maybe im missing something. How do i reach these people?

Thanks!

Tue 17 Jul 2007 at 8:34 AM
William

My name is Jessica Mead, a student from University of Southampton, Winchester School of Art. I am currently undertaking my final year at university, where I am concentrating on nanotechnology and therefore colour changing fabrics is of great interest to me. i have already found you website very useful and was wondering if you could provide me with small sample. Please let me know if it is possible and i forward my address to you. Thank you for your time.
Jessica Mead

Wed 08 Oct 2008 at 11:05 PM
Jessica Mead

Jessica,

Please forward your address and I will make sure you have enough color changing fabric for your project. It's different from above pics but sure you will be fascinated.

Deb

Sat 28 Feb 2009 at 4:54 AM
Deb

I recently came across your website and am very intrigued by your work. I am an MA
student, currently researching mass customisation and sustainability in fashion. I am
interested in creating a collection of t-shirts, that the user can customise according to
their own wants and needs, and am researching different ideas of how to do so. The idea
of being able to change the colour of a garment is something that I really want to do,
but am finding it hard to find out how to go about it. Any advice or recommendations you are able to offer, would be of great help. Also I was wondering if you could provide me with small sample, to help me with my research

Clare-Elizabeth