a slick infographical (& quite provocational provocative) movie discussing some of the US political issues involved in the Iraq war.

looks visually similar to the more recent google master plan.

[link: knife-party.net(mov) & video.google.com|thnkx Theo]

Is this really an infographic movie? It really just seems to be using the same style as an infographic movie to display abbreviated subtitles.

Sat 24 Feb 2007 at 2:10 AM
anon

I can't understand what quantitative information was being displayed graphically here. This seems to be merely a collection headers and subtitles as anon pointed out. Not sure I would say it's provocative either, it says exactly what a lot of conspiracy theorists have been saying since the September 11 attacks.

Sat 24 Feb 2007 at 2:30 AM
Ryan

The word is "provocative," not "provocational."

Sat 24 Feb 2007 at 6:23 AM

Whats provocative is calling this clip _info_graphics. It's pure propaganda. No need to be ashamed of that.

Sat 24 Feb 2007 at 6:44 AM
peterh

you are all quite correct in that the movie does not show any quantitative data, but uses an 'infographical' style for illustrative purposes.

I guess I should have made that more clear in the description. however, I wanted to show this example for its use of infographics (style) as a way of propaganda, exploiting the power of visualization.

Sat 24 Feb 2007 at 11:03 AM
infosthetics

I'm waiting for the day when the USA helps NO ONE else on the planet. I want my country to stay out of all affairs of others—no matter how much they beg us to help them. I want to watch the world become completely taken over by extremists and militants as the USA keeps completely to themselves. Only THEN will people like the person responsible for this 'info' graphic will be content.

Sun 25 Feb 2007 at 12:45 AM
life on earth

while the graphics are certainly cool, it was more of a distraction for the narrator point. I bit too much for me to soak in.

Sun 25 Feb 2007 at 6:44 AM

not much info but look cool!

Mon 26 Feb 2007 at 6:49 AM

not really much to it... it's a good design and production job. not much there in terms of information... an artistic piece more than anything.

Mon 26 Feb 2007 at 9:11 AM

The day came where infographics have become a "syle". And a style, as usual, is a great mask for a lack of original ideas. But this clip, the forms and colors of it, reminds me the constuctivsm movement... why dit the author make such a choice? I think the whole product is a bit confusing instead of being clear (= opposite of "real" infographics).

Mon 26 Feb 2007 at 9:44 PM

Myopic, self-centered, inaccurate propaganda. Everyone's got an angle, don't they? If this person stood up in front of a group of people without the graphics, would anyone listen? Perhaps, but not as many.

Tue 27 Feb 2007 at 1:23 AM
two way street

I read an interview where the "Google master plan" authors explained they used this video as an inspiration. That's why they are so similar.

Tue 27 Feb 2007 at 8:16 AM
Vittorio

A very well produced piece of hyped up propoganda. Even has the look down—Stalin would be proud.

But I agree. I didn't feel "infographics" here at all.

Wed 28 Feb 2007 at 6:05 AM

Reminds me of soviet propaganda....

Wed 28 Feb 2007 at 12:20 PM
akuhn

For the sake of it: this movie floated around the net at least 2 years ago...just so people don't get the inspirator and the inspirated mixed up :)

Tue 06 Mar 2007 at 8:47 AM
Leo Kennis

Extremists and militants usually manifest in reponse to imperialist bullies, 737 bases in 130 countries seems a little extreme to me.

Wed 28 Mar 2007 at 11:14 AM