radioactive_warning_sign.jpga new symbol to help reduce needless deaths & serious injuries from accidental exposure to large radioactive sources. the new icon is aimed at alerting anyone, anywhere to the potential dangers of being close to a large source of ionizing radiation, the result of a 5-year project conducted in 11 countries around the world. the new symbol, developed by human factor experts, graphic artists, & radiation protection experts, was tested on a total of 1,650 individuals in Brazil, Mexico, Morocco, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, China, India, Thailand, Poland, Ukraine & the United States to ensure that its message of "danger - stay away" was crystal clear & understood by all.

see also long-term warning signs.

[link: iaea.org & iaea.org (video)|via bookofjoe.com]

radioactive_warning_sign2.jpg

I like it "RUN THE FUCK AWAY" seems to be the general message.

Mon 19 Feb 2007 at 9:29 AM
Danno

Except for the fact that it’s at least three symbols, not one, and the black on red causes tons of problems for protans. I want to see the actual data.

Mon 19 Feb 2007 at 10:36 AM

In fairness to the IAEA, the press release says that this is a supplemental symbol, used in addition to the longstanding radiation trefoil.

I'm prepared to believe that this is an improvement over nothing, but I wonder if the IAEA tested it against a simpler solution, like just the radiation trefoil + a death's head.

The person running with the arrow is a very unfortunate choice, since it's an international symbol that points the way towards emergency exits. It's a sign of safety, not danger.

By the way, I think that you mean "graphic designers," not "graphic artists." The OED defines graphic arts as "the fine arts of drawing, painting, engraving, etching, etc.; also, the techniques of production and design involved in printing and publishing."

Tue 20 Feb 2007 at 1:52 AM

It looks to me like "When the fan is blowing, run away from the skull."

Tue 20 Feb 2007 at 8:41 AM
Janet

hehe, I agree with janet's comment...

If you're disconnected from "civilization" enough to not know that you should keep away from the plain old trefoil sign, then how are you supposed to respond to this? The concept of using rebuses as a warning against immidiate danger seems a bit risky...

Wed 21 Feb 2007 at 2:01 AM
joakim lindén

How the shit can you debate this? It's pretty clear: CRAZY RAYS MAKE YOU DEAD, RUN THE FUCK AWAY!

In all fairness David Ramos, I'm prepared to believe that you are a super fag and no one gives a shit what the OED thinks about the difference between a "graphic designers" and a "graphic artists". I hope you point out these things to everyone in real life so everyone knows you're a douche.

Wed 21 Feb 2007 at 10:39 AM

If the next 10,000 years has changes like the last 100, can anyone expect that future to appreciate our current roadsign vernacular? We did a symbol like this, but as a joke for Utne Magazine. The true assignment should be redesigned every 50 years. Yucca mountain, in the year 12,000 will be protected by army of laser-rifle carrying robots.

Wed 21 Feb 2007 at 4:07 PM

Sorry, but for the magnitude of danger represented, I want one big, bold single symbol, clear as day, none of this outlines-within-outlines crap.

If the trefoil wasn't cutting it, I should think the Jolly Roger by itself would have done the job. Looks like they tried to make it an effing comic book.

Thu 22 Feb 2007 at 10:06 AM
mh

I had another funny misreading of it:

Radiation can cause Pirates and you to lose your left foot.

As for Yucca Mountain being protected by laser-rifle carrying robots, I'm going to assume that they will worship the waste as their God and some 'savage' from the real Planet Earth will outwit all of them. "Damn them to hell!!!!"

Thu 22 Feb 2007 at 11:35 AM

Both the skull and the running person are at the same distance from the rays, but one lives?

Thu 22 Feb 2007 at 2:20 PM

wow its like arrrrrr big scary head thingy lol nor ur all gay

Thu 14 Feb 2008 at 10:38 PM
fat boy

5 years, 11 countries, 1700 subjects and still questions. It just goes to show how complex and difficult it can be to make something simple that can solve a common problem.
I think it's great.