gcensus.jpg
a powerful web-based mapping & visualization tool based on Google Maps, capable of displaying all sorts of geographic data. gCensus is an effort to make geographic data freely and easily accessible to the public, without the need for expensive GIS software packages. users can freely pan, rotate, & zoom into & out of maps, change the ground angle or alter the transparency of different areas to satellite imagery.

update: gCensus & Juice Analytics are 2 separate projects, but very similar. thnkx commenters for catching the confusing mistake.

[link: stanford.edu & extremetech.com & juiceanalytics.com|thnkx Douglas ]

It's interesting that another project that is extremely similar also made the news (well, Slashdot): gCensus.

Wed 14 Mar 2007 at 2:38 AM

as much as I understand, my post is about gCensus. I also included the project name in the original post.

however, I will include your link as well, to avoid any confusion.

Wed 14 Mar 2007 at 8:48 AM
infosthetics

Sorry about the confusion, I only looked at the juiceanlytics link and then wrote nonsense.

These are actually two different projects. gCensus is one, and the extremetech article writes about that. But the work by the people at Juice Analytics is completely separate (see also my comment on their blog and their response). It looks similar, and they only posted it two weeks ago. But these are still two separate things.

Wed 14 Mar 2007 at 2:33 PM

My mistake when I first sent you the suggestion, the interface is actually Google Earth (via KML), not Maps. And yes, there is another product with the same name, as Imran points out in the ExtremeTech article.

Wed 14 Mar 2007 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for the post - I am also adding to the Census/KML/Google Earth/Google Maps mashup madness. I am writing Ruby code to take Census data and map it in Google Earth. I've got samples to download and code to share. You can follow my progress here: http://censuskml.blogspot.com/

Tue 20 Mar 2007 at 5:33 AM

Hi. This is really interesting post. Thank You! I have just subscribed to Your rss!

Best regards