the US Home prices from 1890 to today, adjusted for inflation, plotted as a roller coaster ride.
[link: speculativebubble.com|via kottke.org]

that's so cool! It's a shame the 'youtube' watermark covers the year in the bottom left, though (it took me a while to figure out it was there).

Thu 05 Apr 2007 at 2:06 PM
andrea

thnkx for the comment. I have changed the movie to another format.

Thu 05 Apr 2007 at 2:20 PM
infosthetics

It was still hard to see the year. I only noticed it 2/3 into the movie... Maybe they could show it as big text on main roller coaster screen.

Thu 05 Apr 2007 at 2:58 PM
jz

Great idea and implementation! The way to feel a market fluctuations

Thu 05 Apr 2007 at 5:29 PM

that was a fun ride

Thu 05 Apr 2007 at 6:43 PM
nathan

I was kind of disappointed that it didn't fall off of the end.

Fri 06 Apr 2007 at 5:01 AM

Home sizes have also increased over the years. Is it normalized for that? More than two thousand ft on average vs. around a thousand feet 50 years ago.

Also, in his graph, the y-axis origin is not at 0 but starts off at 60.

Fri 06 Apr 2007 at 1:59 PM

The home size comment is interesting. I think that would be good to show as well. Even more interesting is that family size has (roughly) decreased as home size has (roughly) increased. Perhaps you could show the rollercoaster car and the size of the car represents the size of the home and the number of people in the car represent family size.

Although I think that part of the beauty of this is that it's created with a game tool. :) That's sweet. But I presume there's not a lot of flexibility with it.

Tue 10 Apr 2007 at 5:27 AM
krees

nice idea.
i would have loved a more continous display of the year data, it would have made data a little easier to "read".

regards
M

Wed 11 Apr 2007 at 12:00 AM

Does the "side to side", corkscrew motion correlate to any statistics?

Wed 11 Apr 2007 at 3:36 AM
Will

Jurriaan Mous pointed me to this site, looks interesting, I'll keep track of it. Very nice visualization of these US Home statistics.

Sun 15 Apr 2007 at 11:06 PM

This is indeed a great idea of visualisation. Good work!

Mon 16 Apr 2007 at 5:33 PM

As others have noted, the graph data set does not take into account the fact that avg home size has increased considerably over the time series. But not only that, but the technology and amenities in a home has also increased greatly over the period of time.

So that the avg home of 1890 in no way compares to the avg home of today.

Overall, taking into acct all factors, including wage and productivity gains over the time series, home prices have become a relatively better deal, as home ownership is far greater today than in 1890. By definition that means more people can afford homes today than in 1890; therefore, homes are more affordable today.

Mon 07 May 2007 at 5:40 PM