nysubway.jpg
a collection of redesigned New York subway maps, obsessivelly created by Eddie Jabbour over a process of many years. the subway lines run parallel to one another, making the map easier to read, if slightly inaccurate. each line is marked with a circle bearing the route’s letter or number, instead of oblong station markers. the map does not have a single line representing all the trains in a “cluster” route, like the 1, 2 & 3 trains in Manhattan. it uses the identical type font throughout, & words travel left to right, rather than diagonally. the lines bend only in 45- & 90-degree angles, to create a gridlike pattern.

see also NY subway smell map & subway-style trend map & animals on the underground & travel time subway map & dynamap & priceless London underground & music underground map.

[links: kickmap.com & nytimes.com|via metafilter.com|thnkx foobario]

nysubway2.jpg

so, in other words, it uses the logic Harry Beck applied to the London Underground map in 1933.

Sat 28 Apr 2007 at 12:12 AM
MC

The redone map is certainly nicer to look at, redone in the London Tube map style. However, it sacrifices a great deal of utility and detail on the above-ground aspect of the map, especially in Manhattan.

As an occasional visitor to NY, I need that street-level detail to find the stations. After living in London for a couple years, I didn't need the street detail, but at first I had to have the famous tube route map as well as a seperate street map to find tube stations. I suspect this prettier but less informative NY map would create a similar situation. The current map isn't beautiful but it's the only one you need.

Sat 28 Apr 2007 at 7:02 AM
Euphrosyne

Have you seen the new Madrid Metro maps?

Here is a great entry on them;

Mon 30 Apr 2007 at 6:18 AM
christoball

for a site about information design it suprises me that so poorly designed are the links to the images of the projects discussed that I can't find them at all. Is this an intentional tease - talking about great sounding projects, only ever showing us little bits of imagery and never linking to the actual images? - or is it just a case of bad design? Please show me the image links!

Mon 30 Apr 2007 at 8:22 PM

James, the links to the projects are always placed after "[links: ..." at the last paragraph and sentence of the post.

This is followed for each single post.

Mon 30 Apr 2007 at 11:07 PM
infosthetics

While it appears that James didn't look closely enough, I can sympathize with his problem to a degree. I'm a long time reader of your site, but I still find your "link after all the content" format somewhat counterintuitive. It's consistent, as you point out, but it also goes strongly against convention (particularly when the links come *after* a long string of "see alsos"). I'm not suggesting a redesign, but from a usability perspective, it's not ideal. Great site though!

Tue 01 May 2007 at 5:07 AM
Euphrosyne

Thanks for the support euphrosyne, and thanks for pointing the links out to me infosthetics. They were of course right under my nose the whole time - but that's exactly my point, they are so completely missable. Love the site, great content and certainly no need to change anything but it would be even better if you could just make these links MUCH MUCH more prominent!

Tue 01 May 2007 at 9:01 PM

I agree about the links–it took me way too long to work that out. I would suggest the easiest way would be to hotlink the image you use in your posts to the major link of the article, like basically every other blog does.

Tue 08 May 2007 at 3:34 PM