an intriguing music video visually illustrating the relative costs of a common music video production, such as make-up, filming equipment, catering or salaries, in contrast to poverty-related concepts, such as school fees, classroom equipment, meals, power, or hospital maintenance. by artist Sarah McLachlan with the song "World On Fire".

at the cost of $15 for this whole video, I guess the infographics were designed for free.

see also global rich list & miniature earth & worldmapper & govcom & gapminder.

[link: worldonfire.ca (high-rez, original video)]

That is so touching.

Tue 01 May 2007 at 3:14 AM
Brian Mingus

Yeah, I believe the video cost more like $10,000 (perhaps the footage of her playing only cost $15 too shoot & edit), but that's still a drop in the bucket when compared to most major-label videos these days.

Still, a touching and compelling video.

Tue 01 May 2007 at 6:57 AM
Jared

Similar to Korn's Y'All Want A Single, Fuck That from a few years back.

It showed a few bits of info like:
-Britney Spears’ last video cost $1,000,000.
-This Korn video cost $150,000.
-You have seen $48,000 worth of video.

Korn and Sarah McLachlan.

Tue 01 May 2007 at 11:38 AM

That's pretty touching, indeed.

Tue 01 May 2007 at 2:17 PM
H Starkey

Love it. (Although some of the text needs to stay on screen longer.)

On her site it shows that they actually donated all that money to the charities outlined in the video. Fantastic!

But I wish they would say how they got the money. Was this Sarah's personal expense? I can't imagine a label forking over that much to charity instead of making a video.

So while it does provide a great view of what our society could be doing with its money, it doesn't talk about how it would be feasible for corporate America. That aspect, I feel, requires a truly creative solution.

Wed 02 May 2007 at 6:05 AM
krees

I dunno, I found myself thinking of all the production, hair and makeup people who didn't get hired that day. Like it or not, a successful artist like Sarah McLachlan builds an entire economy around her. This video is a nice concept for a single video, but it wouldn't fly for consumers on a regular basis. I say thank God. McLachlan (and all Americans) should be giving money to charity regularly, and she and her acoustic guitar wouldn't have had the cash to do it if it weren't for the system.
B

Thu 03 May 2007 at 2:33 AM
beto

Sorry, but if you're trying to tell me electricians, production assistants, and every other employed person in better off countries doesn't earn their money too you won't find me very sympathetic. How much did the computer cost to make the video, how much did the camera cost... etc... How much research and study went into the creation of those devices for you to convey your message with? I appreciate the sentiment, but it's not quite a refection of reality.

Thu 03 May 2007 at 11:54 AM
mike

I love sarah mclachlan she is one of a few artist that didn't sell out.I think it is great they took the money,and gave it to people who needed it .

Sat 02 Jun 2007 at 9:34 PM