subway_clock.jpg
an alarm clock that visualizes the actual status of the major Tokyo Yamanote rail line. the clock is updated wirelessly in real-time with the position of trains on each line, so one knows exactly when to catch the subway.

[link: hobidas.com|via ohgizmo.com & boingboing.net]

see also polar clock & coulheur clock & colhour clock & last clock

subway_clock2.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is just for the Yamanote Line; that's the only name on the dial, and the radial spokes look like station names.

Wed 25 Jul 2007 at 3:03 AM
Aaron Young

Pretty brilliant, until they change the schedule... ;) Maybe that part is replaceable, neat regardless.

Wed 25 Jul 2007 at 3:24 AM
Adam Sanderson

Nice idea

Wed 25 Jul 2007 at 6:10 AM

I don't know the Tokyo system, but your comment seems correct, Aaron. I'll change the original post.

Wed 25 Jul 2007 at 11:24 AM
infosthetics

Yes, it looks like the Yamanote line, but that's the central Tokyo line that you can take just about anywhere.

And even though I don't live there, I'd buy this clock anyway if the wireless would update here, just because it's cool.

I say that even with the knowledge that this is more gimmick than useful--the Yamanote line runs a closed loop, and the trains come every 2 minutes, so having real-time info is nearly pointless :)

Thu 26 Jul 2007 at 6:57 AM
euphrosyne

From reading the description of the clock on hobidas.com it doesn't seem to have the functions you listed. As far as I can tell, all it can do is give you the amount of time it takes to get from one station to another with informational dials. It also plays the departure tune from each station, which seems to be the big selling point. I didn't read anything about wireless updates of each trains current location, seems a bit far-fetched to me. Looks nice though.

Thu 02 Aug 2007 at 6:02 PM
Ian Walker

Sun 13 Apr 2008 at 2:57 AM

Buy Alarm Clocks - Online Purchase – Shopping - Sales – Swiza
Finest Quality Alarm Clocks in traditional and contemporary designs - Avail 30% discount – Alarm Clocks – Branded Collection - Switzerland, Swiza – Great Savings – Call us on 0800 840 4001.

Fri 08 Aug 2008 at 2:13 AM

Buy Clocks Barometers Online Purchase Shopping Sales Services – Branded Collection.
Avail 30% discount on Clocks and Barometers. Branded Collection – Call us on 0800 840 4001. Clocks, Barometers, time pieces, Alarm, Aneroid, Carriage, Cuckoo, Granddaughter, Grandfather, Grandmother, Longcase Floor, Mantel and Table, Mercury, Ship, Skeleton, Wall Clocks. Comitti, Kieninger, Schneider, Swiza, Matthew Norman.

Fri 08 Aug 2008 at 6:33 PM

As a family-owned business, we are proud to extend our tradition of offering high quality products and complete after-sales service online.

We hope this site helps you choose from the World’s leading brands the perfect clock and barometer for your home or office. If you would prefer to make a purchase from a stockist more local to you please refer to the authorised dealer listing on the Comitti trade site.

Thu 11 Sep 2008 at 11:37 PM