animated infographic movie from Good Magazine, visually explaining who possesses nuclear bombs & how many, & what would happen when one would fall on New York City.

[via goodmagazine.com & chimponachain.com (original video)|via coolinfographics.blogspot.com & tunequest.org]

I'm not sure their NYC detonation maps are accurate. I plotted a 150KT explosion centered on the Empire State Building and found that 2.5 miles of blast radius is a lot further than their ring depicts. Unless the 2.5 miles they reference is the diameter, in which case that seems about right, but that's not what the infographic implied at that moment in the video.

Also, based on the numbers and time intervals they use, I'm pretty close to certain they used the scenario pages at the Atomic Archive as their source. In which case a credit might have been nice.

Wed 13 Feb 2008 at 1:45 PM

The map graphics are seriously off-- the circles shown are much, much smaller than the listed radius distances. The numbers are accurate, but the map graphics are not at all. Not even close.

Also, the entire scenario was lifted without attribution from the Atomic Archive.

Fri 15 Feb 2008 at 3:53 AM

(Apologies for the double-post. At the time I posted the second, the first hadn't appeared, and I assumed it had been spam-binned due to the links, so I tried again.)

Fri 15 Feb 2008 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for the links, Eric. I've never seen the HYDESim before, very interesting, and worrying...

Sat 16 Feb 2008 at 3:24 AM

I feel it is incumbent on myself to join Mr. Meyer in pointing out a mapping inaccuracy in this video. In the "Who's got 'em?" segment, Ireland is clearly highlighted as part of the U.K., of which it is not a part and it independently (for better or worse) aggressivele pursues an anti-nuclear policy.

Sat 16 Feb 2008 at 5:08 AM
daragh

I thought it was not proven that Israel and South Africa have nuclear weapons.

Tue 18 Nov 2008 at 12:59 PM