infographic_storytelling.jpg
a beautiful infographic snapshot of contemporary teen life & the new media world, created by Matt Mason ('The Pirate's Dilemma') & Nicholas Felton (known from the yearly 'Felton Personal Annual Report').

[link: wetellstories.co.uk|via boingboing.net]

infographic_storytelling2.jpg

infographic_storytelling3.jpg

Felton is the master of information razzle-dazzle. Take a penetrating look at his real graphs such as his unfortunate stint at the NYTimes on "you are what you spend" and you'll find more confusion than information. His only other chart for them was an extravagant pie chart. I have yet to see his apparent ingenuity with actual information and not simply color, shape, and typography.

Fri 18 Apr 2008 at 4:16 PM
kronski

Felton's personal "Annual Reports" are beautiful, interesting, and communicate well. This book seems over-designed, especially the fragmented and slanted topic statements for each graphic. I found them very difficult to read and confusing. While the graphic design qualities are creative and sophisticated, this is a good example of form trumping function.

Sat 19 Apr 2008 at 5:37 AM

It's a shame. There seems to be some intriguing content under that confusing design. I really tried to read it, but became so frustrated after a few pages that I just stopped.

I like Felton's work. His annual reports are lovely. I don't know why he couldn't pull this one off. Too bad.

Sat 19 Apr 2008 at 7:31 AM
krees

I am not feeling this design at all. It made me want to cut along the dotted lines and fold up into a paper rubiks cube or something.

Sun 20 Apr 2008 at 2:27 PM

Boooooo! I could barely understand the labels. For example

BOYS

reporting increased
screentimes

Thu 24 Apr 2008 at 4:45 AM
Pete

bored. the style is only slightly interesting in terms of color and chaos, but the result is unreadable. perhaps he could have taken some lessons on readability from comic books, which have been doing exactly what he is here for a very long time, only better. also, the form could have been balanced against the content so that they were mutually reinforcing, rather than at odds with each other.

Thu 24 Apr 2008 at 11:07 AM