a TED talk by Designer Jakob Trollback about the concept of a music video that is purely directed by the music itself: not driven by a concept, nor by a desire to build an image, but purely as an expression of a great song.

the song is "Moonlight in Glory," from David Byrne & Brian Eno's classic album My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, remastered in 2006.

[link: ted.com]

how can you create a video, images in motion, without the desire to build or create images (either directly or indirectly)? the pure expression of a great song is the great song itself. no video.
(don't get me wrong, i like the video above just fine...)

Sat 05 Apr 2008 at 1:03 AM

The concept's interesting, though vj's already in that field for many years now. Nice examples, Robert Hodgin at flight404.com (http://www.flight404.com/blog/?p=111)

Sat 05 Apr 2008 at 1:22 AM

yeah this is nothing new from a technology standpoint, although it takes pretentious to new heights.

Sat 05 Apr 2008 at 3:53 AM
jess

Yeah, when I was doing VJ work a few years ago I purposely looked to leave out any sort of narrative or conceptual exploration in favor of mixing and laying F/X on images inspired solely by the music's tone as well as the crowd's.

And you can do that using more than just flashing blocks and the lyrics to the song. You can use any image. The video this guy presents is pretty boring, if you ask me.

I didn't listen to the talk but the basic idea and the resulting video seem to me to be a nod in the direction of the Dadaist movement only not taking it quite that far.

Sat 05 Apr 2008 at 6:02 AM
Thomas

i agree with jess. how is this re-thinking the music video, or a 'new' idea that is deserving of a TED lecture?

Sat 05 Apr 2008 at 8:10 AM
david

Whoo-ha, “directed by the music itself” – yeah, for sure: no listener, nobody who does any kind of interpretation, nobody making i.e. visual decisions depending on that interpretation. Now I am just waiting for “the music” in its role as director to shout “cut!” and give the actor a severe tongue-lashing.

Tue 29 Apr 2008 at 12:48 PM