information_design_patterns.jpg
a sophisticated online collection of about 48 design patterns that describe distinct methods for the display of interactive information graphics, their active behavior as well as the forms of user interaction with them.

as part of the written thesis in Interface Design from Christian Behrens, a freelance interface designer in Berlin, the website aims to inform graphic designers who need to deal with complex tasks in the field of information design, but do not have any specific knowledge in statistics or data visualization. it is intended as an online "cookbook" that offers a set of tools & methods to cope with all common forms of data visualization, similar to design patterns in computer science, such as the Yahoo! Design Pattern Library.

each pattern consists of a text part that describes the general characteristics of the pattern, its required or appropriate data source, its generic application, & a discussion of the pattern's usage rationale. besides a real-world example, each pattern is accompanied by a layout that is based on an identical dataset, here the statistical yearbook of the City of Berlin.

Chris informed me there is the possibility to publish the thesis as a book. any interest from infosthetics readers?

[link: niceone.org|thnkx angus & Christian]

information_design_patterns2.jpg

information_design_patterns3.jpg

information_design_patterns4.jpg

information_design_patterns5.jpg

Well, I'd be interested :)
How much would it cost?

Tue 06 May 2008 at 7:53 PM
Katharina Andresen

+1 would buy if not crazy expensive

Tue 06 May 2008 at 9:14 PM
binky

I would buy too if reasonably priced :)

Great work.

Tue 06 May 2008 at 10:39 PM
S

Thanks for your interest in my thesis. For the first four issues of the book I paid around 75 Euros per copy (for paper, laser printing and hardcover binding). That's quite of lot of money, but I'll try to find a cheaper solution depending on the number of potential orders.

In the long run, I'm currently checking possibilities to publish the thesis as a "real" book. If there's any news, I'll let you know.

Tue 06 May 2008 at 11:00 PM

I'd definitely be interested in a printed version for a reasonable price, though I do love the web interface too. I'm not really sure what a reasonable price is however.

Wed 07 May 2008 at 12:18 AM

The book looks fantastic, great work christian you can tell you have put a lot of care and attention into the design of the book and the website. I'd love a copy. Let me know what your plans are regarding printing.

Wed 07 May 2008 at 12:35 AM
Matt Alcock

This is a fantastic piece of work!

Have you thought about giving Lulu [http://lulu.com] or Amazon's self-publishing services a try?

Wed 07 May 2008 at 3:37 AM

I would love such a book, too. This is very impressive work, and I think it would make a valuable addition to the libraries of many who read this blog. It would certainly go on my shelf! :)

Wed 07 May 2008 at 4:14 AM
Dave P.

Great content. Too bad the site is done in flash. It's the perfect example of where the back button would be so very useful.

I'd definitely buy a the book though. I've been looking for something just like it. I have Information Graphics by Robert Harris but there's not that much information on each graph though there are certainly a lot of graphs.

Wed 07 May 2008 at 4:40 AM
Thomas

I would buy triplets :o) Very nice work..

Wed 07 May 2008 at 4:57 AM

i would definitely buy one...

and you could consider a print-on-demand service such as adam recommended.

Wed 07 May 2008 at 8:50 AM

like some commenters already proposed, maybe self-publishing services might work well in this case? I personally thought of blurb.com. it would save you a lot of administration. infosthetics could be used for advertising.

Wed 07 May 2008 at 10:58 AM
infosthetics

very nice! i second (third?) the suggestion for a publish-on demand approach, at least for the first run. i hear good things about http://www.lulu.com.

Thu 08 May 2008 at 5:15 AM

this is some great work!
If you are interested in publishing this to a wider audience (and not manage it yourself) - maybe you could try a Rosenfeldmedia? They're a US based publisher of User Experience related titles.

If you're interested you could start here - http://www.rosenfeldmedia.com/participate/proposal_questionnaire/

Fri 23 May 2008 at 3:35 AM

Chris, if you've any inclination to explore pubbing this book at O'Reilly, let me know.
Cheers, and great work.
--Steve Weiss

Tue 10 Jun 2008 at 9:54 AM
Steve Weiss

I'd buy it.

Thu 13 Nov 2008 at 11:21 AM
Gabe Ballard

Infographics/Charts Designers Wanted.

I am looking for potential candidates to create infographics/charts for a semi-annual magazine we design and produce for a non-profit investment group based in Connecticut. Our client is the nation's largest nonprofit investment manager.

Please email me a link to your website to view examples of your work. As with most editorial assignments time is of the essence.

Thank you in advance for you time and consideration.

Kind Regards,
Frank

Thu 26 Mar 2009 at 12:50 PM
Frank Lionetti

I absolutely agree with every word the author has written in this article!

Fri 26 Mar 2010 at 9:48 AM