all_water_air_world.jpg
all the water in the world (or 1.4087 billion cubic kilometres of it) including sea water, ice, lakes, rivers, ground water, clouds, etc. (left). all the air in the atmosphere (or 5140 trillion tonnes of it) gathered into a ball at sea-level density (right). both shown on the same scale as the Earth.

[link: phiffer.com|via boingboing.net & benfry.com]

see also relative size of our world.

all_water_air_world2.jpg

Points for being thought-provoking, but this is scarily close to propaganda and really doesn't expose enough information to be worth looking at.

I'd prefer to see this information with more context, not just being compared to a bunch of matter we don't really deal with anyway (the gigantic core of the planet).

Sat 28 Jun 2008 at 9:21 AM
Bnon

I agree with bnon, reading the post i barely understand what you're trying to say. you need to think this one out a bit more, graphs are supposed to make things easier to understand.

Sat 28 Jun 2008 at 7:23 PM

I don't agree with the commenters who feel this visualization doesn't provide useful information.

I was really struck by the images and feel like I understand something I didn't before. It's something to do with the relatively tiny ratios of water and atmosphere volumes in comparison to the size of the planet. It makes it more difficult to dismiss human impacts with a "c'mon, it's a huge planet - how much damage can we really be doing" attitude.

Sun 29 Jun 2008 at 1:27 AM

I think a third sphere would reveal the significance of the first two: something like "the volume of land above water level". Knowing that water covers about 70% of this planet and the deepest ocean trench is deeper than Everest is tall, I'm guessing the comparison wouldn't look so imposing.

Sun 29 Jun 2008 at 6:06 PM

also to compare with history we all share, maybe another ball that is the total building material used by humans in the past two millennia. e.g. roads, buildings, etc. i feel that if I knew how much mass we've moved in our existence, I'd appreciate the ball more

Tue 01 Jul 2008 at 11:16 PM
brien

I love these. "Propaganda" or not--very thought provoking--the same way the first shot of Earth from space was. It puts things in perspective.

Thu 03 Jul 2008 at 12:06 PM
tom b

What is the problem with the picture? I did not read anything in the description claiming too much use of anything. I love the picture because it really shows that people just want to find proof to there stories and the other side fights it.

Sun 06 Jul 2008 at 11:04 PM

How about a ball including all the water that is below the surface of the earth as well? How much of our water comes from wells anyway?

Mon 07 Jul 2008 at 5:29 AM

I just took a dump in that ball of water.

It felt good.

Mon 07 Jul 2008 at 2:10 PM

what about a ball for all the biomass on earth?

Tue 08 Jul 2008 at 3:29 AM
felix

That ball of water is poised to drown Europe once and for all.

Sat 12 Jul 2008 at 5:51 AM
Freedom Fries

I don't really understand this crap and to be honest im sat at school trying to find infornmation and all you give me is rubbish.RUBBISH! Try helping people by getting this of the f***** WEBSITE ITS DOING MY F***** HEADING B****** Thanks yours sincerly lauren (:

Mon 07 Jun 2010 at 8:10 PM

I do not care what you put on here your bitches and it isnt fair. All i see is crap CRAP CRAP and it isnt fair on all the citizens on the moon. MARS AND JUPITER STILL LIVE! Help us see where the water is and know its not in my bladder :) You hate humans you smelly twat! TRANNY VAN I KNEW YOU WORKED FOR CHRISTIAN EMMANS !!!!! Yours forever always in my heart you loving prozzy Heather :D

Mon 07 Jun 2010 at 8:22 PM
Heather Shaw

Mon 07 Jun 2010 at 8:23 PM

Together forever always in my heart we will never party till we get all darty then start to farty with my friends all day and never turn gay but katrina oh yes shes a tranny up my fanny. We love eachother so much forever babey :)
TWAT :D

Yours forever you SPUNK Chicken :)

Mon 07 Jun 2010 at 8:27 PM