youcalc.jpg
The conceptual space created by Widgenie and other visualization portals has got even smaller by a Youcalc [youcalc.com], a new online chart portal that "brings data to life". The youcalc widgets track and combine data from many data sources on the web (e.g. XML, REST, SOAP, JSON, CSV, Excel, Google Spreadsheet, etc.) to create interactive widgets that can be shared and embedded across the web, on desktops, mobile devices, and so on. However, I am still unclear how youcalc is any different from widgenie?

Although it seems the realm of visualization portals has become quite mature, I am still looking for any visualization "widget" that can easily "grab" data from online services, for instance download, anonymize and display my Google Analytics / Feedburner data...

As I see it, pulling and crunching real-time data from web-services like Google Analytics and Feedburner is exactly what youcalc allows you to do!

The main difference between youcalc and Widgenie, is that youcalc allows you to crunch/analyze the data, by placing something similar to a spreadsheet layer in between the data and the visualization. Widgenie only allows you to format/layout the data in a visualization.

Tue 28 Oct 2008 at 10:32 PM
Michael Wilson

Thank you, Michael, for pointing out the differences. Does anyone now an example of youcalc + Google Analytics?

Tue 28 Oct 2008 at 11:03 PM
infosthetics

Hmm, there's no Google Analytics API though, so somehow I don't think so. On the other hand, Feedburner is another story, and straightforward from what I remember.

Tue 28 Oct 2008 at 11:28 PM

Yes, getting real-time data from feedburner is relatively easy. For instance, the statistics of FlowingData.com, Nathan, can be seen in the XML file returned here. It is the historical data I would love to capture and visualize...

Wed 29 Oct 2008 at 9:54 AM
infosthetics

It's straightforward to get historical data too. Just add the "dates" argument. For example, this. You have to enable the awareness API in Feedburner for any of this to work of course.

Wed 29 Oct 2008 at 12:49 PM

Cool. That is something I can work with!

Leaves the question why none of the visualization widgets feature it? (I guess the request is too rare?)

Wed 29 Oct 2008 at 3:03 PM
infosthetics

Hi guys!
I just saw that the youcalc guys released a Feedburner analytics app.
Check it out:
@Nathan
Google has announced that they will release a Google Analytics API soon, but you are right it's not yet public.
When it is - I'm pretty confident that the youcalc team will come op with an app for it.

Wed 05 Nov 2008 at 6:55 PM
Michael Wilson

Great! Thankx for the heads up! Will it also work with http://feedburner.google.com? Can I configure it to make it as simple and strangely wide proportional as the graph shown on the infosthetics.com homepage?

Wed 05 Nov 2008 at 9:14 PM
infosthetics

If you are looking for a straightforward method of pulling realtime data from Google Analytics and using the results on another site, this site does it:
www.embeddedanalytics.com