dutch_coin_design.jpgThe design of a new commemorative 5 Euro coin [pythonide.blogspot.com], also called the The Architecture Fiver, based on the subject 'Netherlands and Architecture'.

In the design of artist Stani Michiels, the portrait of the Dutch Queen Beatrix is constructed with names of important Dutch architects. On the outside the names are clearly readable, while they slowly get smaller to the center. The back side of the coin is designed as a book shelve shelf. The books rise as buildings towards the center. Through their careful placement they combine to outline the Netherlands, while birds' silhouettes suggest the geographical location of the capitals of all the provinces.

See also new UK coin design. Via Design Observer.

dutch_coin_design2.jpg

dutch_coin_design3.jpg

the coolest part at least for me is that it was a Python programmer that made it using Python, PIL and PyCairo... That is to prove that programmers can be really creative.

Fri 14 Nov 2008 at 9:06 PM
Leonardo Santagada

More information about the making of of the coin :

Interesting .... :o)

Fri 14 Nov 2008 at 9:28 PM
Marc Chataigner

Marc, you confuse me: that link is the first one in my post!

Fri 14 Nov 2008 at 10:24 PM
infosthetics

i barely know where to begin describing how awful this is. too many ideas in too small a space, with unbelievably bad typography on both sides.

Sat 15 Nov 2008 at 3:13 AM
jay Harlow

very beautiful! genial, new, a "small" work of art of great value....very more than 5 European!!

Sat 15 Nov 2008 at 3:42 AM
Roberta Pintor

Did the queen approve a design with a bullseye on her forehead? Is this in production? It misses the mark.

Sat 15 Nov 2008 at 10:34 AM
SJ Bean

Surely it's great...

Anyway...The name of Koolhaas into a coin...like kings or emperators...Ok, not only Mr.Rem...lots of them but...into a coin?

Sun 16 Nov 2008 at 10:44 AM
7maas7

That should be "book shelf". "Shelves" is the plural (like "self" and "selves").

Mon 17 Nov 2008 at 12:07 AM
Anonymous

Sure, I fixed the typo.

Mon 17 Nov 2008 at 8:37 AM

"too many ideas in too small a space"

being the most densely populated country in the world, with perhaps the highest volume of architect per square meter in addition, i would say this quote sums up the netherlands quite nicely.

also, breaking the mould on typography within the context of currency is totally ok in my opinion. dutch people obviously know what to do with type.

Tue 18 Nov 2008 at 12:28 AM
j. beton

Not very beautiful, but definately heaps of cool ideas.

The comment of J. Beton above is very nice - I'm an Australian of Dutch heritage and I really look at the cramped-ness of the coin differently after that comment!

Wed 26 Nov 2008 at 1:29 PM
Chela Weitzel

Actually, the Netherlands isn't the most densely populated country... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density#cite_note-cbs-9
I agree with the coin being too busy though... I think the bulls-eye thing is hilarious, I didn't see it until I saw that post..

Mon 09 Feb 2009 at 1:00 AM