sebastien_graph.jpg
The artist Sébastien Délire offers a strong example of infoviz as an art subject. In a recent exhibit, his piece entitled Counter [sebastiendelire.com] was just that: a counter. It displayed the number of visitors passing through the exhibit as a digital number. His piece entitled Graph, slightly more complex, showed a bar chart that represented the number of visitors in attendance each day. Both pieces were modified in real time. Two strong ideas are portrayed here: first, data exists because we look at it, and second, the viewer changes the data just by looking at it. We should always remember that we are part of the data we are representing.

Martin Ouellette is President and Creative Director of Provokat, one of Canada's leading digital adveritsing agencies. For him, infoviz is more than a simple discipline, it's a culture phenomenon.

sebastien_graph2.jpg

sebastien_counter.jpg

What an amazing revelation. not.

Sat 08 Nov 2008 at 12:17 AM
james

@ James
I know these principles aren't new. Not a revelation indeed you're right. If I gave you that impression, I'm sorry. As a first post here I wanted to state the importance of subjectivity. Just after i wrote that we are part of our data, therefore we influence it, i was a described as an adman. So one could remember to place my writings in that context. I wasn't stating your limits but mine.

Sat 08 Nov 2008 at 3:06 AM

I just wasted 2 minutes of my life - 1.5minutes to type this, and 0.5 minutes to read the drivel and look at the pointless pictures.

Sat 08 Nov 2008 at 1:52 PM
john

Not all visualizations necessarily lead to revelations: in this case, the visualization (or should I say artwork?) is making a point "about" the data, and not revealing patterns of any sort (except of maybe the general disinterest after the opening?).

Whether it did this successfully is another question.

Sat 08 Nov 2008 at 7:47 PM
infosthetics

in my opinion this is a very strong concept. having each viewer's participation automatically enrolled by modifying the art in real time is intriguing.

Wed 12 Nov 2008 at 11:54 AM
yofred

Does this make Google Analytics a masterpiece?

First time I've ever seen an Excel chart with all the defaults on called art, anyway.

Tue 18 Nov 2008 at 11:23 PM

@Gareth: Maybe default excel charts are indeed forms of art, as they are not quite effective anyway. Good comment!

Wed 19 Nov 2008 at 10:22 AM