siocme.jpg
SIOC.ME [sioc.me] is a "real-time interactive visualization of boards.ie semantic data in three-dimensional space". The project was originally submitted for entry to the Boards.ie SIOC Data Competition that, based on over 10 years of online discussion and around 9 million documents, invited submissions to create something which uses the data in an interesting manner.

The visualization allows a user to select a forum from boards.ie and explore it within a 3D space throughout various spatial configurations (i.e. Carousel, Linear, Stacked, Random or Grid). One can either watch a small set of demonstration movies below, or try out the application live at online.

Thnkx Rob.

This seems like novelty. Is it useful? Is the z-axis used in a meaningful way?

Wed 03 Dec 2008 at 5:09 AM
kim

for kim
Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward. They may be beaten, but they may start a winning game...

Wed 03 Dec 2008 at 7:39 AM
Goethe

I can see the practical feasibility in this much more than I've seen in any other semantic data visualization design.This seems more innovative than webepags and piggy bank,and the fact that it boasts a considerable amount eyecandy is just a bonus.

Wed 03 Dec 2008 at 9:59 AM
Stefhon

Wish i could use this new app for real.Runs quite good on my UMID.

Sun 07 Dec 2008 at 3:15 AM
riley

object orientated databases seem to be the way forward to break free from the clutches of the dreaded scroll bar!

Sun 07 Dec 2008 at 5:48 AM
Jacob

I'm not sure about the benefits of this in other areas, but I work in print design with literally hundreds of files per project that I need to keep track off. I could see this being a very useful application if it allowed me to visualize groups of files, track their history, re-organize, group and apply actions to a group. I think the biggest problem would be the current standard - mouse, keyboard, monitor - are perhaps not the best tools with which to use this to it's full potential.

Sun 04 Jan 2009 at 6:36 PM