goldstar_beer.jpg
A series of 3 posters as part of an advertising campaign for the Israeli Goldstar beer. Each poster shows an iconic flowchart that depicts the subtle differences between men and women, in particular in terms of making decisions in the context of toilets, relationships or clothing [adsoftheworld.com].

Thnkx Chino.

goldstar_beer2.jpg

goldstar_beer3.jpg

It's been done.

Wed 14 Jan 2009 at 7:20 AM
Maggie Leber

Maggie, while the concept may not be original, I find this to be a worthy communication of the message. A far different one than just slapping buttons on a metal board and calling it clever. This execution has actual thought behind it.

Wed 14 Jan 2009 at 7:33 AM
Meena

mhhh, I find this very close to or even over the limits for chauvinism and an insult to women (and although I am a man, I see no reason to be thankful for this circumstance).

Wed 14 Jan 2009 at 10:08 AM
karl

Oh come on. These are the things we talk about all the time as differences between men and women. Have a sense of humour!

Wed 14 Jan 2009 at 10:38 AM
Di

Di: as a private person I do have a sense of humor, and I thought that this campaign is mirroring exactely the kind of "young men kiddin around and making cheap jokes". and yes, I have to admit I also giggled a bit when I inspected the posters.
what I meant is that as a professional advertiser one should NOT encourage prejudice or actively use oversimplified cliches towards a speficic group of "targets", might it be gender, name, nationality, religion or other "tags" in a public campaign.

Thu 15 Jan 2009 at 9:08 AM
karl

Goodness me, one day this political correctness bulls*çt will kill us! Whether the add will sell beer I don't know, but it IS funny!

Cheers
Stefan

Fri 16 Jan 2009 at 1:18 AM
Mantabee

word.

it's just a funny ad that sums up what people make fun about all day long anyways, both male and female. no reason to call gender police.

Fri 16 Jan 2009 at 4:32 AM
chris

Karl, chill out. Part of a professional advertiser is knowing when to use stereotypes, prejudices and pre-conceptions as "spice". Please point out EXACTLY WHERE AND HOW this campaign is demeaning. Hang out in bars and watch the behaviour of normal people of both sexes. Got news for you. These flowcharts are accurate -- men and women have different mental wiring (solitary/pack hunter-killer versus multi-tasking nurterer and group member).

TV (especially American TV) shows this all the times, even time-honoured comedy shows like the Jeffersons and All In The Family. Modern comics rely on the same old techniques used in the Borscht Belt Vaudeville from the 1930's -- in jokes by the group about the group.

This is a rather graphic (nudge-nudge (;-P) ) interpretation of the thought processes of the sexes.

BTW, DO YOU WAIT FOR A FRIEND TO GO TO THE PUBLIC WASHROOM, or do you just walk in, unzip, and let fly, unconcerned that your standing in a puddle of other people's splashes?

Thu 22 Jan 2009 at 1:08 AM
strikemaster

I see that all the other commenters have the feeling that those ads are within the boundaries of acceptable humor between men and women. I accept that I may have been too strict in my first comment: maybe my surrounding is especially sensitive to such topics and this triggered my overreaction...-)))

Fri 23 Jan 2009 at 9:21 AM
karl

professional advertiser use stereotypes, prejudices and pre-conceptions all the time, its the bread and butter of advertising, and the easiest way to create desire.

Fri 23 Jan 2009 at 9:35 AM
doron

Good job Karl - I admire you for considering other perspectives, unbuttoning the PC jacket a bit and sharing your thoughts. We do have to be diligent gentlemen to call our inappropriateness when we see it and it can be a fine line to walk - keep fighting the good fight.

I can hardly wait to share this with my friends of the fairer sex. They are going to love it!

Sat 24 Jan 2009 at 4:31 AM
Studly von Horsenip

hahaha,. that is hilarious.. i have to admit

Sat 24 Jan 2009 at 6:28 AM

Karl, thank you for being willing to see that there may be alternate opinions.

WRT PC and items like the Godstar posters, if I don't know the lady in question when I'm first speaking to her, I am the perfect gentleman (English sense of the word) until I figure out where she stands on PC (anal-retentive versus the fun end of the PC spectrum). I then follow her lead.

I know that there's three ladies at the office who would break up and laugh until they cried if they got the images, two that would smile and give me an eye-roll and another three that I woun't pass them along to because.....

One of the basic rules of advertising is "know your audience". Taking items out of their context and target audience makes for interesting conversations and lots of PC. Think of George Carlin's "Seven Words" and his subsequent monologue on the use of the four-letter "C"word that refers to a rooster or male bird vesus the gutter-slang for the male appendage. The word in and of itself, the word is absolutely innocious, but when you put it into a context (add the word "sucker"), you'll have problems.

Sat 24 Jan 2009 at 12:57 PM
strikemaster

strikemaster: very conclusive thinking. I just came across a poetry recording where Getrude Stein was reading from her famous work which includes the line "a rose is a rose is a rose". This is one of the most elegant ways to express the innocence of the word, and point out the various subjective deductions which are actually created in the mind of the reader, not the author.
maybe the initial problem for me was the following: I can willingly read a book or see a film, or reject it I feel it could be offensive for "my personal PC level", but a large advertisment poster is much harder to avoid. as such, there is a chance (and counting your own observations, this is three out of eight) that the transported message hits the wrong spot. So yes, it is about where and how to place those ads, and if they are "taken out of the context" (like showing it in the public internet) there is some room for misunderstandings. again, for me personally, the ads are funny and well made, I was just overly concerned about the emphasis on stereotypes.

Sun 25 Jan 2009 at 9:10 AM
karl

Many of you are missing something VERY significant in this ad. This beer is an Israeli product. We know that fromn the Hebrew on the beer mug. There is a prayer in orthodox Judasim said only by men that basically Thanks God that he was not born a woman. Then look at the slogan next to the beer mug - Thank God I'm a Man. This statement is HIGHLY offensive to practicing Reform and Conservative Jews that believe in religious equality of women. Orthodox Judaism does not allow women to participate on an equal basis with men. There is NO WAY I would ever buy this product if I were in Israel.

Fri 06 Feb 2009 at 12:40 PM
Robert

I'm a woman, I live in Israel. This ad is funny. It had nothing to do with religion!

Mon 23 Feb 2009 at 1:19 AM
ac

This was also done for 42 Below Vodka. http://blog.creativethink.com/2007/05/clio_print_ad_w.html

Sat 21 Mar 2009 at 10:56 AM
Brian

I just saw this add in my MS newsletter. I think it makes men look worse then women. To me it says men are simple animals with no higher brain functions. I don't think that is any more true then it would be for women. I have always loved the men in my life from grandfather to son, and I would no more insult them then I would exult myself, and I would love to pee standing up when in a filthy bathroom. One last thing, I was raised by a rabid feminist. . . my father.

Sat 16 May 2009 at 12:41 PM
Bearta

I agree with Bearta. It's truly insulting to men. I see men depicted as neanderthals regularly in advertising, and it surprises me that men rarely take issue with it. Aren't you offended that you're seen as no more than primates?

Tue 15 Dec 2009 at 9:30 AM

shabath shaloom wer in hollandour the netherlands we cant bay our reservaitions goldstar beer becouse its the best toda greethings harry

Sat 27 Mar 2010 at 3:43 AM
harry verstappendahamen drecher

Krees, Bearta;

Basically, men are still at the Neanderthal stage of development (hunt, kill, procreate) and the stereotypes are there.

Go and find the Budwesier (?) Street Luge video. All the classical stereotypes (guys performing dangerous activities, females only as onlookers or beer-maids, guy encounters solid object where it hurts the most). This hasn't changed greatly since the days of Mack Sennet and the Keystone Kops and the English and French farce plays from centuries past..

Men are buffoons (I'm one, so I know) and our baser instincts will always get us into trouble in more ways than we are ready for.

Which explains why America's Funniest Home Videos is still on the air with very few repeated tapes (lots of repeated scenarios).

Tue 04 May 2010 at 7:03 AM
strikemaster

Just bumped into this thread again.

If you're interested in what other mediums are doing. Check out the Wilksinson Razor "Mow the Lawn" commercial ad aimed at women. You can find a copy on YouTube. Shades of Benny Hill.....

Cutting close to the edge on so many levels. Probably not PC. Has people talking about it like mad. Sticks in people's minds. Another successful ad campaign that you'll never see in North America.

Wed 11 Aug 2010 at 2:30 AM