textd2image.jpg
text2image [teddavis.org] is one of those "data art" works that balances on the line of total uselessness and visual fascination. While there is no immediate purpose, one still spends minutes playing around with it.

It is an online tool which allows the user to transform text of any sort into a "visualization" of that very content. The results are deterministic, in that they are consistent to the given input, but extremely dynamic through its variance. Notably, "the application of these images is a complete unknown."

Well, I know a use: as a game to try to figure out how what the heck is the algorithm that turns the characters into a visual representation. As long as the word "infosthetics" comes out quite beautifully, I am satisfied.

See also:
- Glitch Art
- Computer Memory Diaries
- Glitch Browser
- Infome Imager

the Javascript on this text2image site is noticed as a virus by my virus online scanner...

Sat 14 Feb 2009 at 1:26 AM
stefan

Hey I'm the author of the site... and I have heard nothing of this sort since it's been online. The only javascript it's using is the popup functionality of lytebox + an ajax script to process my feedback form. If possible, please send me a text or snapshot of the scanning report.. as there is nothing being downloaded/executed on the clients computer.. so how is a virus possible?

Sun 15 Feb 2009 at 3:12 PM

It says, that it cleaned a JS/wonka trojanian horse.

The log (sorry, german):

16.02.2009 10:39:45 Gelöscht Opera.exe C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\Anwendungsdaten\Opera\Opera\profile\cache4\opr00W3A.js JS/Wonka (Trojanisches Pferd)

16.02.2009 10:40:57 Verschieben nicht möglich (Säuberung fehlgeschlagen) IEXPLORE.EXE C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\Lokale Einstellungen\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\9VL4M5MN\feedback[1].js JS/Wonka (Trojanisches Pferd)

16.02.2009 10:42:13 Verschieben nicht möglich (Säuberung fehlgeschlagen) IEXPLORE.EXE C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\Lokale Einstellungen\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8DT4D1I7\feedback[1].js JS/Wonka
(Trojanisches Pferd)

16.02.2009 10:42:26 Gelöscht Opera.exe C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\Anwendungsdaten\Opera\Opera\profile\cache4\opr00W3V.js JS/Wonka (Trojanisches Pferd)

16.02.2009 10:42:36 Gelöscht
Opera.exe C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...\Anwendungsdaten\Opera\Opera\profile\cache4\opr00W3Y.js JS/Wonka (Trojanisches Pferd)

Mon 16 Feb 2009 at 8:51 PM
stefan

Hey Stefen, thanks for posting that log... i have tried googling this js/wonka - and do not understand how it could come up for my site... i'm not using anything that could/would do such a thing. My only guess is that I have encoded/encrypted an external javascript function which handles my feedback form - I did this as an effort to fight against possible spam_robots. This may red flag the scanning software, but I'm not so sure there is anything I can do regarding this issue...

Tue 24 Feb 2009 at 12:37 AM

++ Update, since releasing version 2.0 of text2image I have removed the script that was obscuring my contact information, which I believe was triggering the virus alert [because the virus checker could not decode the information in the same way a standard web browser would].

Sun 28 Jun 2009 at 3:17 AM