star_trek_singularity.jpg
Star Trek Voyager Singularity [artvierkant.com] is a fast-forward 2 minute excerpt of a 56 minute video that displays each episode of the television series Star Trek: Voyager, all playing at once.

The viewer is able to make inferences of commonality based on when title sequences pop up, when certain characters appear on many screens in the grid at once, and directly observe the tropes of framing and action inherent to a syndicated and budgeted television show.

Reminds me of Sorting Image Pixels

You can watch the video below.

I wonder how this would look with a Synchronous objects style treatment. Obviously there are a lot of repeated visual themes presented here at corresponding (or slightly offset) times, what kind of abstract encoding would allow those commonalities to be explicitly linked (similar to the Counter-point Tool, Cue Score or Cue Visualizer).

Wed 08 Apr 2009 at 1:35 PM

Neat Artie! Goes with our Star Trek blinking Christmas decorations that you will inherit one day.

Wed 08 Apr 2009 at 3:01 PM
Linda

Interesting idea but other than the opening sequence yellow sun thing, I could see no other correlation, everything looked grey and random.

+1 for novelty visualization
-5 for novelty visualization not giving new insight

Thu 09 Apr 2009 at 6:50 AM

@Joseph: Some good ideas!
@alexandre: Right, but it also made me reflect again the importance of dialogues, although I mainly remember action scenes from series like this.

Fri 10 Apr 2009 at 12:16 AM

@alexandre: This is a preview version, yet to be translated natively for web; playing in real time at full quality you begin to notice many visual tropes.

Fri 10 Apr 2009 at 11:33 AM

Intriguing. Because the images are small and I am unable to focus on just one individually, my experience was the contemplation of "how" the total piece was put together, rather than experiencing the theme of the piece (Star Trek). My eye kept focusing on the two frames near the right, top corner where the images were the same. Very interesting concept, Artie!

Mon 13 Apr 2009 at 12:51 AM