human_subway_map.jpg
Sam Loman [just-sam.com] created an original take on illustrating the inner structure and workings of the human body as the tight intertwining of different systems (e.g. arterial, digestive, musculetal, respiratory, etc.), by way of a subway map metaphor.

The full size version is available below (by courtesy of Vizworld).

See also Animals on the Underground, Subway Map Bathroom Tiling, Redesigned NY Subway Map, Subway-Style Trend Maps, and Time-Based Subway Map.

Via Vizworld and Gizmodo.

Thnkx Peter!

(Click for full size version)
human_subway_map2.jpg

Not exactly "original"

I bought this shirt a few years ago...

Fri 05 Mar 2010 at 3:07 AM

Was there ever a time in supposedly educated culture when gruel-thin mashups of earlier, original works, weren't passed off as noteworthy?

I'd like to think so, but I'm not a historian and wouldn't make the assumption.

Fri 05 Mar 2010 at 4:51 AM
Lachesis

While the shirt at http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=3694 is nice, it's limited to the digestive system.

This illustration is impressive, as it covers 8 of the 11 Human Body systems. They skipped the skin, reproductive and one other system.

Fri 05 Mar 2010 at 5:29 AM

The aesthetic part of this infographic is strange, because the metaphor is vice versa of the abstract metaphor of the tube-map.
What is the information of this chart?

Fri 05 Mar 2010 at 5:56 AM
Ralph

I'm not a fan of how this artist is using transfer points incorrectly. For example, there's a transfer point at "Humerus", but there's only one line there (the black "musculetal" line). So "Humerus" is not actually a transfer--it's just a regular old stop. Bah.

Sun 07 Mar 2010 at 10:07 AM

Is it just me or does this diagram show the small intestine joining up to the transverse colon. While an interesting creation, I hope no one actually uses this to learn their anatomy.

Tue 09 Mar 2010 at 2:42 PM

Very creative!!
The illustration is really impressive!

Wed 10 Mar 2010 at 1:45 PM
Carolina

The image is a visual metaphor; hence, it should be read along that line.
I do not read this image hoping to find accurateness with the actual human bodily map (of which, by the way, most of us know SO little); I think it is best a reminder of our fluid nature, in constant flow and overflow.

Sun 14 Mar 2010 at 9:09 AM
Catalina

This illustration is a total rip off of a tshirt designed back in 2008.

RIP OFF! Come on! Those shirts were even for sale on Spreadshirt by the same original illustrator.

Sun 14 Mar 2010 at 11:20 AM
Angel B.

This is not original. This tshirt was designed 2 years ago so this is a total RIPOFF! http://www.flickr.com/photos/badgurl/2939007900/

I bought this tshirt on spreadshirt back in '08!

Sun 14 Mar 2010 at 11:24 AM
Angel B.

@ Angel B. & Justin:
Honestly I've heard this analogy of "the body as a subway system" said by my teachers in college about 20 years ago in my Anatomy & Physiology classes. I have to say out all of what I've seen so far from the URLs provided Sam's version is the best executed.

Fri 09 Apr 2010 at 2:35 PM