nature_by_numbers.jpg
The movie Nature by Numbers created by Etérea [etereaestudios.com] is a beautifully illustrated animation focusing on remarkable geometrical and mathematical properties, which range from the Fibonacci numbers over the Golden Angle and Ratio, to the Delaunay triangulation (more detailed information about all these can be found here).

See also:
- The Visualization of Randomness
- Data Signals on a Spiral
- Ulam Prime Spiral
- Visualizing Prime Numbers
- Symmetrical Mathematical Structures
- Number Spiral

This video is beautiful!! Congratulations!! Nature is so wonderful....!!

Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 1:20 PM
Mel Buendia

i love what you did with this concept and the video.

Thu 29 Apr 2010 at 7:34 PM
Cjl005

Beautiful.

I was explaining to my son how math is everywhere not 2 days ago! I will show him this video.

Thank you so much.

Fri 30 Apr 2010 at 6:43 AM
Steve

your visualization of the golden mean and the Fibonacci series is just AMAZING!....the links are amazing! and so is the music..

Fri 30 Apr 2010 at 10:38 AM
nina

I feel like I'm the odd one out, here. I don't find fascination in numbers AT ALL. It was a very well made video, excellent graphics. Seeing patterns in nature, to me, is like a meaningless pursuit. Nature is beautiful because it's nature, not because it's mathematical. I guess some people appreciate nature in a more abstract way...

Sat 01 May 2010 at 11:29 AM
Devon

Devon,

I was just wondering if you have ever heard of the "Golden Ratio" and the "Fibonacci Number Sequence". All the scenes in the movie depict how nature uses these mathematical concepts. It is not a meaningless pursuit to see these patterns in nature, for example, it is inherently present in how sunflower seeds are scattered on a flower. The golden ratio ensures the most efficient use of area to scatter the seeds, giving the flower much more eficiency to populate its surface area with them.

Mother Nature is a methematician...

Tue 04 May 2010 at 3:44 AM
Carlos

Only natural numbers occuring. Except the golden. But it is the most noble of all.

Tue 04 May 2010 at 10:14 PM
jamala

Holy wow. I'm familiar with the basics of some of these equations.... but damn. The KNOWLEDGE!

Also what's the song?

Thu 06 May 2010 at 10:42 AM
Carson

I'm bothered by that image - that's supposed to be the Fibonacci sequence, right? So why is there a 9 in it? >.

Also, the faded numbers below show a 3 after an 8, which should be 13.

Thu 06 May 2010 at 11:49 AM
Kevin

Is this the full movie or just a trailer?
If so, where can i buy or watch the full version?

Is really great!

Fri 07 May 2010 at 1:41 PM

@Kevin

I see no 9 but i think the three was probably an animation mistake.

Sun 09 May 2010 at 5:47 PM
Bryan

@Carson, the song details are in the movie itself - "Often a Bird" by Wim Mertens - http://www.wimmertens.be/

Wed 12 May 2010 at 12:29 AM

I still like Mathmagic land better

Tue 25 May 2010 at 3:37 PM
KHop

This video is awesome! First thing that popped into my head when I watched it was the Divine Code I read about in the Divinci Code. Makes perfect sense!

Thu 27 May 2010 at 3:59 PM
andria

Math is an illusion.

Thu 03 Jun 2010 at 9:33 AM
Slartibartfast

I love Maths,I just wish I could do it!
The video was great aswell.

Thu 03 Jun 2010 at 11:56 PM

Who needs god when you have math?

Mon 14 Jun 2010 at 3:11 AM
jay

The next step is convincing you it is all because of intelligent design by the big mathematician in the sky. There is nothing intelligent about these designs. It is due to the efficiency of nature. Patterns occur purely by chance and that is all there is to it. Simple... elegant...

Wed 16 Jun 2010 at 8:27 AM
Pieter

I really enjoyed this video and am fascinated by the time and effort it took to create it. I was taught that in historical times that artists who excelled at math would use math in their work as an expression of the divine and or perfection.

Fri 06 Aug 2010 at 5:18 PM
Barbara

Feynman put it perfectly..."To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in."

Tue 14 Sep 2010 at 7:37 PM
abstrusis

He also said, "Physics is to math what sex is to masturbation."

Wed 01 Dec 2010 at 5:07 PM
bob the mob

@ Pieter, Ah yes... another atheist trying to make sure no one sees the perfection of nature connected to an intelligent creator. Anyone who thinks the mind boggling perfect rules of physics and the universe around us was created by "chance" is truly blind. My wrist watch would never randomly assemble itself if I left the parts floating in zero gravity.

"I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." -Matthew 11:25

Tue 02 Aug 2011 at 5:12 AM