face2face.jpg
a project that takes similar (28mm lens) photographs of Palestinians & Israelis with the same profession (e.g. hairdressers, teachers). it displays the pictures together in pairs & in huge formats at unavoidable places, on both the Israeli & the Palestinian sides.

see also sydney portrait compilation.

[links: face2faceproject.com & & jr-art.net & woostercollective.com|via kottke.org & 3quarksdaily.blogs.com

face2face2.jpg

face2face3.jpg

(images from http://jr-art.net/)

I think this would be far more effective if the portraits didn't make the people look ridiculous. Also, the photos should give some indication that the people who are juxtaposed share something in common.

Sat 17 Mar 2007 at 5:06 AM
krees

I don't know...I think the humor helps keep the pictures from looking like mugshots. And if anyone needs a laugh, it's that corner of the world.

I suspect the professional correlation would be far more intuitive to residents than to outside eyes.

Sat 17 Mar 2007 at 3:44 PM
euphrosyne

The humorous facial expressions draw us in.

The lack of text makes us think in a different way.

Before TV we had to imagine pictures to go with the voices or music.

These images do something similar.

Mon 19 Mar 2007 at 10:09 AM

I love the photos -- but I wish the website would let them speak for themselves. The website is poorly designed, and the explanatory text reduces the effect of the photos.

Wed 21 Mar 2007 at 3:32 AM

I appreciate the intention, but the images have a buffoonish quality, good for light heartedness, but when you paste them into the context of the occupation wall, the imagery of bug eyes and sticking-out tongues can be construed as mocking towards the palestinians situation. This is similar to the Banksy graffiti, to which an old man asked why he was making the wall beautiful when the palestinians hate it more than anything and want it torn down. Just my thoughts.

Thu 22 Mar 2007 at 4:06 AM
Chris

Thanks Andrew. I love this piece. Yes it's more art than acutal activism. Yet. It's a powerfull idea well executed on the street.

Sat 24 Mar 2007 at 2:47 AM

I am a Franco-American who has organized a photo biennial, Photofolies en Touraine, since 2002 in the Touraine region of France and I would very much like, if at all possible, to bring your "Portraits" to our region.

If this proposal interests you, could you kindly let me know how to proceed?

Sandra Shepard