marshalite.jpg
an alternative, rotary traffic signal designed by Charles Marshall in 1936 & used from the 1940s through 1970s in Australia. 2 rotors pointing at colored sections denote whether traffic in either direction should proceed, prepare, or stop. based on a traditional clock face, it has the advantage of clearly showing signal phase timing.

[link: wikipedia.org|thnkx Peter]

marshalite2.jpg
image taken from Wikipedia.

Might the extra information about the cycle lead to potential abuse? The extra information allows one to more accurately judge the timing of the transitions; one might be more likely to run an early yellow, or a late red.

Thu 29 May 2008 at 8:16 PM
Mitch Williams

I remember seeing these on a childhood trip to either Adelaide or Melbourne in the '60s. AFAICR they were in use in parallel with conventional traffic lights. I always assumed that they were being used to indicate a new phasing arrangement.
They do have the disadvange of not being able to support dynamic phasing.

Fri 30 May 2008 at 2:13 PM
Steve Gunnell

neat,
yes there seems to be a danger of abuse, but it reminds me of the pedestrian way countdowns in the netherlands, deHague I think.
I wonder if there is a danger documented. People might cut corners, but at the same time, traffic could flow better, as people could prepare better for the 'green' phase

Fri 30 May 2008 at 10:01 PM
Marcus Kirsch

Around here, the lights are timed such that the the "don't walk" light flashes 12 times, then goes solid for .5 seconds before your traffic light changes(to tell when not only when the light is going green, but if you watch the parallel ones, when it's going red). At some intersections you can see them flash from quite a distance. Also, the left turn lights crossing your direction wait 8 seconds after the last car crosses the inductive sensor before your light changes.
Drive safely, pay attention...

Sat 31 May 2008 at 11:15 AM
o4tuna

The amber and green are not really necessary, one red signal will do, this can pulse before going off, i.e. to the 'green', 'go' state. A fair amount of 'leccy' would be saved with the red-only system.

Mon 02 Jun 2008 at 9:33 AM
Fred

Only trouble with a red-only system is that there's no way to distinguish between a 'go' signal and a broken signal - generally speaking, it's preferrable to design things so that they fail into the safest configuration.

Tue 03 Jun 2008 at 2:52 AM

Tue 03 Jun 2008 at 11:52 AM
dj

Wed 04 Jun 2008 at 9:38 AM

Traffic Lights with Digital Displays?

Possible Solution: Longer Lag Between Red and Green.

That could reduce possible collisions between red light runners and green light riders.

Wed 04 Jun 2008 at 7:20 PM
Eric Co

The ambiguity of the exact moment of state transition in "boolean" traffic lights may discourage such such corner-cutting... Oyunxx..

Tue 14 Oct 2008 at 2:32 AM

Leah is definitely the one who should win. Science Fiction Conventions? What?! She deserves a win, indeed!

Fri 14 Nov 2008 at 11:58 PM

I'm guessing the only way to do this in Javascript would be to use the onresize event, and then using the resizeTo method to attempt to keep the window at the size you want?

Mon 17 Nov 2008 at 3:32 AM

Sun 23 Nov 2008 at 4:16 PM

Sun 30 Nov 2008 at 4:54 AM

Thankss

Sat 27 Dec 2008 at 12:26 PM

agree with plastik , She deserves a win !

Mon 29 Dec 2008 at 5:16 PM

Wed 31 Dec 2008 at 4:02 AM

I hope the petty little group that tried to stifle free speech with said spurious DMCAs gets their ass handed to them. I would say this even if it was the creationists who were being picked on through illegal means, really - free speech is free speech!

Ironically, I've never heard of that anti-creationism group before, and what'll probably happen here is it'll backfire on the creationist group, creating more publicity for people they perceive to be a threat - thus ensuring that more people will check the other group out, and MAKING them more of a threat. Not to mention the legal trouble the creationist group is liable to get into over this.

Thu 08 Jan 2009 at 6:02 AM

For me it worked one time only. Next day i tried it again and no star appeared, just one curved line. Possibly because of some other magnets i have at home near this starmaker, it interferes somehow, but Lancome does not tell you to keep it away from other magnets, so be careful with this tiny bootle...

Thu 08 Jan 2009 at 6:07 AM

ı wonder if there is a danger documented. People might cut corners, but at the same time, traffic could flow better, as people could prepare better for the 'green' phase
Fri 30 May 2008 at 10:01 PM
Marcus Kirsch

Sat 24 Jan 2009 at 8:54 AM

Sun 08 Feb 2009 at 10:28 AM

Mon 09 Feb 2009 at 2:18 AM

Traffic Lights with Digital Displays?

Possible Solution: Longer Lag Between Red and Green.

Tue 10 Feb 2009 at 6:25 AM

Sun 15 Feb 2009 at 4:25 AM

Sun 01 Mar 2009 at 8:59 AM

Too late. Here in Miami there are countdown timers on the crosswalks and you can clearly see how much time you got before light turns yellow. Not exactly the same but effective nonetheless. thanks

Sun 01 Mar 2009 at 9:00 AM

Sun 29 Mar 2009 at 2:52 PM

Thankss

Mon 06 Apr 2009 at 1:55 AM

Wed 08 Apr 2009 at 1:17 AM

Wed 08 Apr 2009 at 2:01 AM

I think it can be used only as addition to normal traffic light system because of danger of abuse.

Mon 13 Apr 2009 at 1:26 AM

Fri 17 Apr 2009 at 6:35 AM

Might the extra information about the cycle lead to potential abuse? The extra information allows thank you

Tue 21 Apr 2009 at 6:02 AM

Tue 21 Apr 2009 at 10:21 AM

For those of you thinking that if they implement this it will eliminate some of the waiting and lines… I Think

Thu 23 Apr 2009 at 12:16 PM

Very interesting informations. I come back for more informations and I have added this pageto my favourites. Thanx for the authors great work.

Greetings from Russia

Alla

Mon 27 Apr 2009 at 5:36 AM

Hi,

Very nice themes for personal blog, i’ll add this theme to my theme list.

Fri 01 May 2009 at 11:22 PM

Tue 05 May 2009 at 7:43 PM

Fri 22 May 2009 at 11:21 PM

Very nice themes for personal blog, i’ll add this theme to my theme list.

Mon 25 May 2009 at 12:31 AM

I am trying to find one of the original Marshalite rotary traffic signals – I'd love to buy one. I lived for many years in Mt Eliza, Victoria and travelled along the Nepean Highway between Mordialloc and Seaford where these traffic lights were installed until the late 1970s. Can anyone help me find one?

Fri 29 May 2009 at 8:50 PM
Mark

Sun 19 Jul 2009 at 10:15 PM

Tue 21 Jul 2009 at 5:03 AM

Tue 21 Jul 2009 at 5:22 AM

Sat 01 Aug 2009 at 7:49 PM

late

Wed 26 Aug 2009 at 12:10 AM

Wed 26 Aug 2009 at 12:48 AM

Thu 27 Aug 2009 at 1:46 AM

thanks you

Thu 27 Aug 2009 at 2:31 PM

Tue 01 Sep 2009 at 11:36 AM

Thu 17 Sep 2009 at 7:54 AM

thank you I would worry about the transitions. From any kind of distance there could be some disagreement as to whether or not the the pointer was on the red or the green when it was moving between the two. Lots of wrecks with this system.

I remember seeing these on a childhood trip to either Adelaide or Melbourne in the '60s. Thanks.

Thu 29 Oct 2009 at 11:48 AM

Thu 29 Oct 2009 at 11:49 AM

Sun 01 Nov 2009 at 4:19 PM

Wed 25 Nov 2009 at 10:22 AM

this is very nice blog,thank you for all

Wed 02 Dec 2009 at 7:22 AM

Hi, I just thought i'd post and let you know your web site layout is really messed up on the Firefox browser. Seems to work ok on IE however. Anyhow keep up the great work.

Sun 06 Dec 2009 at 9:20 AM

WOW! that video just blew my mind. like staring at television static. beautiful!!

Sat 12 Dec 2009 at 2:03 AM

Thanks, Around here, the lights are timed such that the the "don't walk" light flashes 12 times, then goes solid for .

Mon 21 Dec 2009 at 7:49 AM

I like this…

Something different and a nice option
that can be used for all browsers and look the same.

Well done. I will definitely have to use something like this.

Tue 22 Dec 2009 at 2:25 AM

Wed 23 Dec 2009 at 12:20 AM

Drive safely, pay attention...

Wed 23 Dec 2009 at 12:41 AM

Thu 24 Dec 2009 at 7:04 PM

Wed 06 Jan 2010 at 1:42 PM

Mon 01 Feb 2010 at 6:32 AM

Thanks a lot for the wonderful information

Wed 24 Feb 2010 at 8:06 PM

Thanks a lot for the wonderful information

Wed 24 Feb 2010 at 8:07 PM

Thu 25 Feb 2010 at 11:41 AM

Tue 06 Apr 2010 at 8:39 AM

Thu 06 May 2010 at 9:57 PM

Sun 16 May 2010 at 6:31 AM

Wed 26 May 2010 at 11:29 PM

I cannot ponder your highly effective here is make only took 2D pix and additionally transfered the criminals to the three-dimensionally version. Which has conducted previously. Your intersting matter is they procured all of them because of Sparkle information coupled with earned free a real-time a model in 3d condition belonging to the overall metropolis.

Fri 18 Jun 2010 at 11:23 AM

They do have the disadvange of not being able to support dynamic phasing.

Sun 20 Jun 2010 at 11:11 AM

Never so this before. This is great for showing my little one how is traffic signalization works.

Tue 13 Jul 2010 at 8:52 PM

Hi - very good web site you have established. I enjoyed reading this posting. I did want to issue a comment to tell you that the design of this site is very aesthetically pleasing. I used to be a graphic designer, now I am a copy editor in chief for a marketing firm. I have always enjoyed playing with information processing systems and am attempting to learn code in my spare time (which there is never enough of lol).

Fri 13 Aug 2010 at 2:09 PM

They do have the disadvange of not being able to support dynamic phasing.

Thu 03 Mar 2011 at 9:43 PM