infographic video illustrating the price of vampire power, or wasted standby power. even when household appliances are turned off, most are still using some electricity. appliances are either in passive standby mode (the clock on the microwave is still ticking) or active standby mode (the VCR is off, but programmed to record something.

[link: goodmagazine.com (static infographic) & goodmagazine.com]

see also:
. enerjar
. saverclip
. ambient joule
. more power monitor
. power socket bar graph
. energy sculpture
. power-aware cord &
. wattson

Yeah, I think the term 'infographic video' has been getting a little loose lately. I could have gleaned the same amount of information from just listening to the audio. The images were more of a bullet point style reinforcement than any type of visual information marker. It also seemed a little amateur, especially compared to the Royksopp style of 'infographic' loveliness.

Thu 31 Jul 2008 at 2:47 AM

Really enjoyed the clip. It ended a little abruptly and could have used a concluding statement. Some of the savings and environmental impact could have been pushed a little more visually too. I'm not left with a "crap! I gotta do something" feeling.

Thu 31 Jul 2008 at 9:17 AM

Thu 08 Jan 2009 at 6:23 AM

Thu 08 Jan 2009 at 6:24 AM

Thu 08 Jan 2009 at 6:26 AM

Thu 08 Jan 2009 at 6:27 AM

Sat 24 Jan 2009 at 10:14 AM

Thu 19 Feb 2009 at 10:38 PM

Thu 19 Feb 2009 at 10:39 PM

Thu 19 Feb 2009 at 10:40 PM

Shameless plug - Beamingsun.com is selling the new smart strip which helps slay these vampires! Really a great and useful product.

Thu 26 Feb 2009 at 6:41 AM

Tue 17 Mar 2009 at 2:08 AM

I could have gleaned the same amount of information from just listening .....

Fri 10 Apr 2009 at 6:06 AM

Thu 11 Jun 2009 at 11:19 AM

especially compared to the Royksopp style

Thu 09 Jul 2009 at 6:51 AM

There are some things in a home that really need to keep working. An example of this is a fridge. Yes we can turn it down, buy an energy star rated one when we do buy, and even place water containers in the freezer to optimize cooling. But we cannot turn it off.

Then there are other devices, mainly computers and electronics where at times it may/should be "dead".

This is where our attitude really comes to play. Will we do what is needed to fully disconnect it?

We have just completed our study on the energy required to charge a blackberry. In it we find that the energy wasted is typically 10 times that which is actually required for charging. http://open4energy.com/forum/hc/power/blackberry_charging

More we found that there is no legitimate/functional reason not to save the wasted energy. In this case it is all wasted because we cannot be "bothered" to unplug the charger after an hour when charging is complete, and leave it unplugged until next required. There is no functional advantage to leaving the charger consuming energy, pretending it is a small heater, at all.

But there are other use cases Notebooks, Printers, Fax Machines, DVR's, DVD's and others, which use Phantom Power, better called Standby Power in these cases. The power is consumed to offer that extra little convenience in operation. It may be to save them warming up, a remote wireless device to switch them back on rather than having to go to the device and press a button.

We have now saved 35% of the electricity used by our computer and electronic appliances by managing without these minor capabilities. We bend down, unplug and "kill" all devices that are not working. It took a little while to get used to doing this, but looking back it has been good for us.

Our evening walks are taken in an attitude of giving thanks for the savings we can make.

Our 20% rebate as thanks from PG&E was a surprise, for we did not do this to save the money. We did it to be better stewards of what the Lord has blessed us with. How good it is to feel good about ourselves, and how nice it will be to enjoy a meal out together, the reward of our efforts.

Fri 10 Jul 2009 at 6:35 AM

Wed 17 Mar 2010 at 10:07 PM

Fri 07 May 2010 at 2:16 AM

Wed 19 May 2010 at 3:28 AM

Wow, you guys reaally love repeating the 'crap!' statement, don't you? Well, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Anyways, back to the video. Good work! Paying attention to those 'vampire' energies can make you a great power saver, compared to other people.

Thu 20 Oct 2011 at 6:37 PM